Did you know that most household hazardous wastes are recyclable? Heritage partners with community governments and corporations alike to offer residents or employees greener alternatives to disposing of HHW that should never make it to landfill.
How It Works:
- Heritage sets up a collection site to accept the waste materials from local homeowners
- As the homeowners arrive, Heritage unloads their cars.
- The waste is initially segregated and sent to different areas of the collection site for repackaging.
- The individual packaging areas prep the materials for shipment, either through bulking, consolidation or repackaging to ensure that all DOT regulations are met. In most states, this waste is exempt from the EPA regulations; however, the DOT considers this material regulated.
- Once the waste is repackaged, the material is loaded and transported to the proper disposal/recycling facility for final processing.
These events are very popular and generate large volumes of waste for recycling or reuse while keeping them out of municipal landfills. For some corporations, this has been a tremendous public relations event for both employees and the community.