Asphalt Shingle Recycling
Recycling Asphalt Tear-Off Shingles
Owens Corning's Strategic Alliance
Heritage Environmental Services is recycling tear-off shingles as part of a national strategic alliance with Owens Corning Roofing and Asphalt, LLC. Owens Corning Roofing is connecting roofing contractors with the convenient, cost-competitive and differentiating operations provided by Heritage and encouraging homeowners to ask for an Owens Corning™ Preferred Contractor who has taken their Shingle Recycling Pledge. Find contractors in your area who have taken the pledge to recycle tear-off shingles.
There is a reason Heritage is so knowledgeable when dealing with by-products from many different manufacturing processes. That’s because Research and Development has always been a significant strategic part of Heritage Environmental Services. Other Heritage Group companies include petroleum, refining, asphalt product, highway construction, and mining. From the beginning, our considerable pool of chemists, engineers and geologists have focused on sustainability, dedicating research efforts to reuse and recycles options that benefit not only the environmental management needs of our customers, but the needs of our society and our planet.
For more than 25 years, Heritage Research Group has not only found ways to better stabilize wastes, but to find highly innovative solutions for turning spent soaps into asphalt emulsions, the reuse of non-hazardous waters in emulsions for coal, the recovery of indium metal for plasma televisions screens and the recovery of soybean gum for bio-fuel uses, just to mention a few. Heritage Research Group has been the engine driving this type of innovation along with the opportunity to work with so many companies and study their by-products.
Convenient Drop-off Locations for Shingle Recycling
We currently have eight shingle recycling locations up and running and we are in the process of setting up several new locations, so check back periodically to see if we have a location near you.
- Indianapolis, IN (call 317.539.2024 for information)
- Cincinnati, OH
- Chicago, IL
- Denver, CO
- Fort Wayne, IN
- Minneapolis, MN
- Nashville, TN
- Portland, OR
Benefits of Recycling Shingles
You're a roofing contractor and you are thinking about recycling your asphalt shingles, but you're asking yourself, "Why? What's the point?" Well, here are some advantages of recycling your tear-off asphalt shingles:
- Recycling asphalt shingles is a cost effective alternative to landfill disposal or other disposal methods.
- Recycling asphalt shingles is an environmentally-friendly alternative to disposing of old shingles in a landfill. According to a report by the Northeast Recycling Council, the Environmental Protection Agency estimates that the, "U.S. manufactures and disposes of an estimated 11 million tons of asphalt shingles." Roughly 10 million tons of the waste is scrap from new roof installations and tear-offs, while the remaining 1 million tons is from asphalt shingle manufacturers.
- By properly removing and recycling tear-off asphalt shingles, you are on your way towards earning additional credits under LEED certification programs.
- Heritage makes recycling asphalt shingles convenient by offering a one-stop recycling service with hauling capabilities and drop-off locations that are easy and accessible to use.
Interested in Learning More?